Over the years, dental technology has advanced to allow patients with comfortable, less time-consuming, and most importantly, painless care. Before these advancements, old traditional x-ray techniques caused issues involving waiting time, preparation time, and even environmental concerns. Therefore, digital radiography has completely revolutionized the practice and technique of dental X-rays used in dental offices all over the country.
How does digital radiography work?
When a dentist utilizes digital radiography, they insert a sensor into your mouth which captures the images of your teeth. Although these films may look like traditional x-rays, the digital sensor is actually an electronic device connected to a computer. This little device takes pictures and images of your teeth and projects them onto a screen instantly for your dentist to view.
The Benefits of Digital Dental X-Rays
- Less Radiation – Digital x-rays use 90% less radiation than traditional x-rays.
- More Efficient Dental Appointments – Digital x-rays do not require any preparation time.
- Higher Quality Images – The images captured by digital x-rays can be zoomed in to any size, and your dentist has access to the most accurate images of your teeth.
- Transfer Dental Records Immediately – Digital x-rays can instantly be sent to any other specialty office within seconds due to their digitized form.
- Environment Friendly – Digital X-rays and radiography do not use any chemicals to develop the film as seen in traditional x-rays.
- Complete Picture – Having digital x-rays performed means your dentist gets the whole picture and can give you the best diagnosis possible.
- Immediate Access – With digital radiography, your dentist can view your oral cavity in real-time with less radiation exposure and more convenience.
Overall, film x-rays invented in 1895 have evolved immensely over the years. With today’s technology, digital X-rays and radiography allow dentist offices and professionals to elevate their practices for themselves and their patients. Although film x-ray technology is more cost-efficient, digital x-ray technology has proven to be worth the price. With 70% less radiation, less discomfort, more efficient detection of problems, and less time in the chair, digital radiography is the most optimized way to perform x-rays on patients.
If you would like to learn more about digital dental x-rays, give Carlsbad Dental Associates a call today. Located in Carlsbad, California, Dr. Edward Adourian is an experienced, renowned specialist in all things dental. From general dentistry to family dentistry and cosmetic dentistry, Dr. Adourian and his team can help you and your loved ones with all your dental needs. Our experienced professionals here at Carlsbad Dental Associates are more than happy to help you with Invisalign, CEREC same-day crowns, dental implants, and so much more. Give us a call today at (760)918-9000.