A periodontist is a dental professional specializing in diagnosing and treating diseases that affect the gums and tissues surrounding the teeth. They are experts in the prevention, diagnosis, and treatment of periodontal disease, which is an infection that can damage these tissues.
When Might You Need Treatment from a Periodontist?
There are several situations where you might need to see a periodontist for treatment. Four common reasons include:
- Gum Disease. Gum disease is a condition that can cause tooth loss if left untreated. A skilled Carlsbad periodontist can assess the extent of your gum disease to apply the most effective treatment.
- Dental Implant Failure. If you have had dental implants placed and they are not healing properly or failing, you may need to see a periodontist for help. A periodontist can diagnose the problem and provide treatment to correct it.
- Tooth Loss. If you have lost teeth due to gum disease or other reasons, you may need to see a periodontist for replacement therapy. A periodontist can provide various treatments such as dental implants, bridges, or dentures to replace lost teeth.
- Bone Loss. One of the key features of gum disease is bone loss. This occurs when the tissues that support the teeth are destroyed by bacteria. As bone loss progresses, it can lead to loose teeth and even tooth loss.
What Types of Treatments Might a Periodontist Provide?
Some of the common treatments that a periodontist might provide include:
- Gum Surgery. If you have gum disease, the periodontist may perform surgery to remove the diseased tissue and restore healthy gum tissue.
- Bone Grafting. If you have lost bone mass in your jaw due to tooth loss or infection, the periodontist may perform a bone graft to replace the lost bone.
- Dental Implants. A dental implant is a titanium post that is surgically placed into the jawbone to replace a missing tooth. The periodontist can place the implant themselves or refer you to an oral surgeon for placement.
- Full Mouth Reconstruction. In some cases, the periodontist may recommend full mouth reconstruction to treat multiple conditions affecting the teeth and gums. This includes procedures such as root canal therapy, crowns, and braces.
- Antibiotics. Antibiotics may be prescribed to treat the infection.
Following periodontal treatment, the patient may be given instructions on how to properly care for their teeth and gums at home to prevent problems from arising in the future.
Periodontics at Carlsbad Dental Associates
Carlsbad Dental Associates’ periodontal plastic surgery and implantology specialist, Dr. Patrick Huston, is a board-certified periodontist. His primary expertise is in the field of comprehensive periodontal disease management and complex implant dentistry. He seeks to make periodontal and implant treatments patient-friendly through effective communication and the use of the leading diagnostic and treatment procedures.
If you are experiencing any signs we’ve discussed that you might require periodontic treatment, contact Carlsbad Dental Associates at (760) 918-9000 for more information or to schedule an appointment.